Tuesday, November 02, 2010

My first day of NaNoWriMo

produced 3058 words - words which I was pretty happy with, too. I gave it to the Queen of Cupcakes to read and she liked, as did the Nanoson. It's a story I've been dreaming about for a while and writing in my head and my index card system - though certainly not up to Robert Olen Butler's standard - he has at least 200 index cards written on before he starts the novel - is a good way of jotting down ideas without labouring the point in a notebook. So, I'm pretty happy so far though I think the Melbourne Cup and our pizza oven firing might interfere with today's word count.

Still haven't found a good title for the new novel - I liked F. Scott and Me but someone's written a book, F. Scott, Ernest and Me - about going to Paris and writing, so that's out - probably why I thought of it in the first place. Never mind. Then I had the Summer of Gatsby - but my climax happens at the wrong time of the year for that title. Looks like it's just going to be one of those books where the title comes later. That hasn't happened to be for a few books.

Good luck or the Cup, everyone! Start typing and pass the champagne!

No comments: