Monday, April 26, 2010

Autumn resolutions



I think maybe one should make seasonal resolutions. Today I decided to move my knitting and fibre adventures back to this blog. I think it will make me feel happier.

This is one of the Ixchel angora bunnies. I've just knitted my daughter a variegated grey cowl from pure angora - it's unbelievably soft. I think this bunny was giving me the evil eye. It's name is Kabookie. Who knew they had fluffy little feet as well?

I learnt to spin when I was about seventeen - on an Ashford wheel. I learnt to spindle first - using a drop spindle. We bought them in Melbourne - we'd driven through from Queensland, my mother, her partner and me in the old Dodge Ute. We bought the spindles from the Spinners and Weavers Guild, Victoria - it was then in the city, from memory.

I can remember standing on a table in order to get enough drop for my spindle - and being totally frustrated when the yarn broke, time after time.

Shortly after that I learnt to spin on a wheel. It's a very relaxing thing to do. I loved brown fleece in particular and spinning in the grease.

I sold my Ashford when I left Brisbane years ago. I was given another Ashford by a woman at a Warrugul writer's retreat years later. I gave that away sometime back and now I own a Majacraft Little Gem - which is an upright wheel - and an unknown Norwegian-style spinning wheel which I bought secondhand from the Spinners and Weavers Guild, which is now in Shakespeare Street, Carlton.

I feel much happier when there's time in my life for spinning, knitting and sewing. One of my autumn resolutions is to keep this time and not be overwhelmed with work demands. Quite frankly, I'm not paid enough to be overwhelmed!

No comments: