Saturday, October 30, 2010

Publishing doldrums

The publishing industry is in a bad away, according to most people I run into. My publisher has been made redundant - which leaves me - and other Woolshed authors, I'm sure - wondering what the hell we're going to do next. I had this thought the other day that it would be amazing to stop worrying about increasingly insignificant royalty cheques and all the career palaver that goes with this writing life and just give the writing away for free. (The Accountant was, needless to say, unimpressed.) The method of giving away writing eludes me a little - I'm no fan of reading page after page on a screen and anyway, the book is lovely artifact. However, I can readily give away poems.

As Gillian Welch says '...we're gonna do it anyway/Even if it doesn't pay.' ('Everything is Free', Gillian Welch & David Rawlings.

So, watch this space - a free poem posted every week!

No comments: