Tuesday, October 11, 2011

'Serendipity'

1754: coined by Horace Walpole, suggested by The Three Princes of Serendip

I want to talk about skipping stones
and how there's always one that does six
seven skips and you know it
can feel it the moment you heft it
gently, it's flat disc light between your fingers.
You were beachcombing for feathers
to make a quill, shells or just
walking the dog and then, like the three princes
you discovered the perfect skipping stone
by accident or sagacity.

Serendipity's a fine word for a poet
beachcombing for words
she was not in quest of.


This poem came about during a workshop I led on Saturday. I asked the participants to think of a word and write a poem from that word - either breaking the word down, or simply meditating on the word. There were some fabulous results - two completely different poems exploring thresholds and a knock-out poem using the word architecture to meditate on marriage.

I've always loved the word serendipity and while I don't think this is a particularly finished poem, I'm posting it today because The Accountant and I are by the water and water makes me think of skipping stones and The Accountant makes me think of serendipity.

If you're after a good poetry exercise, do try this at home! Also, don't forget to check out other Tuesday Poems.

2 comments:

Helen Lowe said...

Even if still very new, I enjoyed the raw material of this poem.

I also enjoyed your Hub choice last week and apologise that I didn't post there to say so--a great deal to think about in the poem and the week just slipepd away while Iw as doing that!

Stripeyspots said...

I like the rhythm of that poem. It bounces along and then stops. Just like your skipping stones.