Monday, February 27, 2012

Join the Challenge!

I think I'm just going through one of those times when I have to spend a little bit of every day reassuring myself that everything will be okay, that things will run more smoothly than first appears, that I am still a writer and, once I've done that, I need to spend a little bit of every day actually doing something thoughtful or productive for me. Otherwise I feel as though I'll dissolve into grey. So, this is the productive and thoughtful gift to myself today:

I read heaps of female writers anyway, so why not join up? I shall be a dedicated reader and read 24 books by women writers this year and review twelve of them on this blog. Theoretically that is only two books per month. Of course, I've nearly missed the first two months, but that's okay. I'll catch up. In no particular order, here are a few of my chosen books:

Margo Lanagan, The Sea Hearts
Cassandra Golds, The Three Loves of Persimmon
Amanda Curtin, Inherited
Leanne Hall, This is Shyness

I shall unearth my reading journal and make notes as I read, pretending, as I do so, that I live in slower, less troubled times.

If anyone has any suggestions for Australian women writers I can read, please leave them in the Comments. I will read almost all genres with the exception of romance.

1 comment:

Cartillyer said...

I really enjoyed Catherine Jinks's The Dark Mountain. Actually, I enjoyed it so much that I left a comment on her website to let her know how great I thought it was.

I haven't read her other two adult books, The Secret Familiar and The Road yet, but if The Dark Mountain is anything to go by, they should be great reads.